Tuesday, November 22, 2011

We CAN Be Perfect-Part 2

Note:  If you have not yet read Part 1 of this blog - you can do so by clicking here. 
PART 2- As promised, let's look at one of the definitions of perfect as found in the New Testament.  The first occurrence is in Matthew 5:48, Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.   Oh, my!   If we can be perfect - what about our flaws and shortcomings?  Here again we are confused by our contemporary definition of perfect.  In this instance 'perfect' (Greek: teleios) again means 'finished' or 'brought to its end, complete'.    The same definition is used when Jesus said to Paul when he complained of the thorn, "'. . . My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.' Paul's response was to say, 'Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me." 2 Corinthians 12:9.
       WOW!  Did you get that?  I've missed it so many times.  When we accept and rejoice  in our weakness (infirmity)-that's when the POWER of Christ can come upon us to make us more like God!  Accepting our limitations and letting God work in spite of them can make us complete through God's power!  So - don't let your feelings of inadequacy limit what He wants to do.  It doesn't matter if it is a physical , character or spiritual infirmity.  In fact, our 'infirmities' make us depend on God. If we are really striving to draw into a closer relationship with Him, to be perfect [complete], to do His will, then we must allow God to use us, infirmities and all.  He desires to work through each one of us...it is only our self that will limit Him.
     In Matthew 19:21, when Jesus talks to the rich young man who desires to follow Jesus,  he says, "If thou wilt be perfect [complete], go and sell that thou hast."  Unfortunately, this young man could not let loose of his infirmity.  He depended on his riches rather than God.  I ask myself, have I let my feeling of inadequacy stop me from following God's directing and limited my opportunity to be perfect as God is perfect?    Are there lessons you have learned when you rejected God's direction?  Are there blessings you received when you bound yourself to Him and he worked through your infirmity?  Share your story and comment below.   Part 3 to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment